Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'll wash your back, if you wash mine......

So it goes when creating washcloths...which is what I have been dabbling in for the past few days. After sketching and graphing MM's guitar design I knit a fingertip towel (I still have some tweaking to do on that one, not yet satisfied) I decided that I wanted to try to create the infamous flower washcloth that I've seen about on the net. I know that the pattern for this lovely cloth is found in a knitting book that I don't have and can't find in town. So, I decided that I would, once again, stretch my creativity muscles and see if I could design a flower myself.
So, I unraveled the off kilter flop that I had knit for Honey's Baby (granddaughter's new code name...or, one I'm trying, anyway )and began knitting the first Flower Power prototype. LOL, well, this one was another flop! Not the Flower Power flower that I had pictured, rather a Mound O' Flower, as you can see.
Notice the protrusion that looks a bit like a bra cup...not my intention! I had created this mound because I began knitting in the center of the flower and began increasing outward in such a way as to create this boob shape, not what one is looking for in bath accessories.
Back to the drawing/knitting board I went with Flower Power on the mind....Peace, baby and all that! Once again I begin to knit....creating a very spirally floral bathing accessory

I wasn't too keen on the great number of spirals so, once again I head back to the knitting board and tweak the pattern some more....in the meantime, my sweetness, MM, is out and about running errands with his mom (he's just nice that way) and when he came home he presented me with 2 lovely hanks of Blue Sky Cotton, just what the doctor ordered to jump start my knitting mojo! Luscious yarn...yeah, baby! Once I got my hands on this yumminess I knit up the latest Flower Power creation:
Fewer decreases, fewer spirals. I'm quite pleased with the final outcome, if I do say so myself. I may still tweak it a bit, who knows. The patterns can be found here.
Pardon me, I'm off to wash MM's back....a girl's got to try out here knitting creations .

11 comments:

Punkin said...

I don't know. I think you may have hit on a new design idea with the boob-flower.

AR said...

You could always knit two, and make a bra, or bikini top!!

AR said...

OOps, I meant to say more! Maybe I need new yarn, to fix my knitting mojo. Isn't MM nice? Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so impressed! Actually, I was also impressed with the "boob" flower, too, LOL. And how nice MM is--he needs to talk to my DH, who thinks I'd rather have flowers.

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers Becka!

Holly said...

Maybe make a pillow, like this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php

Ok... maybe not, but amusing none the less. And if MM starts giving lessons on what-to-get-your-girlfriend/wife lemme know, I'mma sign my boyfriend up!

Love the flower washcloth. Do you plan on putting up a pattern?

Anonymous said...

Those are really pretty!! WTG on the pattern!

essjay said...

I love the Blue Sky Organic Cotton - lovely colors! Your patience to work out and design your own patterns amazes me - I don't have that talent! Your MM is the BEST isn't he? My DH doesn't buy me yarn, but certianly doesn't protest when I do - in fact he enables me! He even "got" me the new Options needles for my b-day, 2 months early!

essjay said...

I love the Blue Sky Organic Cotton - the colors are lovely!! I'm amazed at your patience to figure out and design patterns - that is NOT something I have! You do have the sweetest MM in the world! My DH doesn't buy me yarn, but he doesn't stop me either - he's even been know to enable the purchases!

Kristin said...

I've knit that dishcloth from that book. I don't remeber all the details (it was a couple years ago), but I know it was knit from the outside inwards. With each petal knit seperately then joined in the round.

Anonymous said...

The original flower from Weekend Knitting was knit in the same manner; five petals from the outside in (in the same stitch you used) and then joined in the round.